Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday Blues

Today marks the birthday of Blues Great Robert Johnson who was born on this day 101 years ago. Legend has it that he went to the crossroads and made a deal with the devil. 20th Century music was never the same. He died at a very young age and I believe he was 27. That is the age that several rockers have died at. The amazing thing is that before his death he was recorded and his songs were preserved. He was very shy and recorded with his back to the recording engineer. I'm pretty sure I have the details of that correct. There is a great amount of speculation on how he died. One story I've heard it that he was poisoned after performing live. Books have been written about him. His recordings live on and you can hear his influence with such bands as The Rolling Stones, Cream and Led Zeppelin. Happy Birthday Blues Man!